Sunday, April 18, 2010

Our Trip to Germany!!

The Crowded Lufthansa Check in Line

The German Flag is everywhere!

We Rented a fine example of German Engineering!
You probably figured out the truth....

Okay... We are joking. The top picture is of the Toronto Airport...The entire area of the International Check In is just empty, no passengers, few airport workers, and news people with cameras who seem to love the drama. We spent the first night near the airport but after Friday's flights were cancelled with no end in sight...we realized this was completely out of our control. We could have moped around the airport or stayed in a no fun hotel by the airport...BUT we chose to make lemonade out of lemons. We rented a car (I asked for a German Car, they laughed and gave me a Chevy Malibu.) We headed a couple of hours away to Niagra Falls and found a great deal on a room with a beautiful view of the Falls.



We saw the sights, walked and hiked many miles, and actually are having a good time. Although we say we are "stuck" in Canada, The people have been very nice and we have made the best of it. We still have the car, are now exploring a different area of Toronto and are praying that the flight we booked on Lufthansa Monday night goes. We fear if it is cancelled we will go to the back of the line...which is probably another week delay...and would be forced to reschedule. We are doing everything we can to get to Poland by Wednesday to meet the girls on Thursday.

8 comments:

  1. Niagra Falls is so beautiful! Sounds like ya'll are having a fun Canada vacation instead of a German vacation :-) Good luck with your flight Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your photos I really like Germany! Might have to schedule a trip there myself. I just hope you won't end up adopting "German" children as a result of all this chaos.

    You have my sympathies! My parents have gotten stranded with us for an entire extra WEEK as a result of the cancelled flights. My kids aren't complaining though.

    The good thing - everyone will understand this is out of your control and there's nothing you could do.

    I'm glad you're making lemonade from lemons. That's a positive outlook on life. Good for you!!!

    You'll probably have one of the two most exciting adoption stories for your children. Along with Martha and Lee who I still don't know if they were reunited or not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are having a great time despite all of the travel problems. Your surprise Niagra Falls trip looks beautiful. I hope and pray you are able to make your flight on time and get to Poland by Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are making the best of a bad situation. I REALLY hope you get out Monday night. There is only so much you can laugh off. Make sure you share with the ticketing agent that you are adopting. We shared our news with a couple of them and they tried much harder to help us out.
    I hope to see some German flags in your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it crazy? We are stuck in Poland trying to get home and you are trying to get to Poland! Your "lemons out of lemonade" is the BEST way to view things.....it will get you FAR! Have fun and enjoy this time in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to hoping you get out today. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you make it out of Canada soon! Glad you are able to have some fun while you are there. Your trip to Niagra Falls reminds me of the last time we visited Buffalo a few years ago - 2003 I think. We went up to the falls and decided to walk across to the the Canadian side. What we did not know is there was a 50 cent toll to get back into America! Neither of us had any cash on us. We had to scrounge around for a couple of quarters just to get back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I tell you I actually thought for a second you got there? I was thinking "How the heck..?!" I heard they cleared a few more areas of Europe for take off today, I am praying for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete

Who's Visiting