Monday, August 16, 2010

Light at the end of the tunnel.....

We received the girls I-800's in the mail last Thursday...what a great day! Vito immediately scanned them to Lina who sent them to Magda. On Friday we were notified that our I-800's made it to the Embassy in Warsaw. Monday we were notified that our Article 5 was ready, picked up, and sent to the judge. So now we wait for the judge to invite us to come. It is so nice to finally have people calling us with updates instead of us always being the ones calling for updates. (ie the USCIS)

As I was thinking about what kind of gift we could give the foster parents, I just didn't think giving them candy and coffee was an appropriate gift to say thank you for taking care of our girls for so many years. I wanted to give them something special so I decided to make them a memory quilt. I used a few pictures from our visit to Poland but most of the pictures were taken by the foster father and represented the years the girls lived with them. I found a lady who printed them on the fabric and then I spent about 2 hours at the quilting store picking the fabric that would go around the pictures. I pieced it all together and then sent it to my mother to finish. I can't wait to see the finished product. I will post a picture of it as soon as I get it back from her.

Last Saturday night we had some friends over for our first night of pierogi making. A very nice couple gave us the pierogi maker and then came over for personal cooking lessons. I have to say they were a lot better than expected. We are going to make it a tradition to make pierogi's with the girls on special occasions.

We are still Skyping with the girls every Sunday. When their foster father told them we finally had the approvals...the girls held hands and danced around the room! Wish we could have seen that one. He also told us that both girls are now able to ride a bike without training wheels! I told Vito he better take off the train wheels on the bikes we have for them before they get here!
So for now we just wait and pray that we get the call soon. I started back teaching today and am diligently preparing all of my sub plans so that we can leave at the drop of a hat. We are so ready to be on that plane heading for Poland!

8 comments:

  1. Your idea of the memory quilt is so brilliant! What an absolutely amazing gift....I can't wait to see it!! I agree about the generic cookies and coffee....just doesn't seem enough. Although we went with it, I vowed in my heart to always send pictures at Christmas time with an update about how the children were doing...Every year, no matter what. YOU ARE SO CLOSE to the FINISH LINE!!!! Can you believe it??? The call to head back to Poland is going to drop out of heaven soon, very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo!!! I am so happy for you!! What an amazing gift for the foster parents- you are so kind to go to all that work to give them such a memorable gift. You are going to completely touch their hearts. What a blessing that your daughters had them and will have you. I'm sure you will keep in touch for years to come. Come on POLAND!! I just cannot wait to see you posting from Poland with your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, I bet the quilt turns out beautiful!! That's super news to hear that things are moving again. Can't wait for you guys to be on the plane and with your girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilt is such a thoughtful gift. I'm sure there will be tears! I hope your mom works fast because you could be leaving VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful news. I feel like skipping in circles too. I applaud you once again regarding the skyping. I think you will find it is going to make (in person) bonding go so much smoother.I can't wait to see pictures of the quilt. It sounds beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really happy for you. I can't imagine meeting the kids and then having to wait so long to go pick them up! I would be neurotic.

    Your idea of a quilt sounds amazing. I am still thinking of what types of gifts I can give the birth family and nannies in the orphanage when I get matched with siblings in Ethiopia and go there.

    With Ethiopia we HAVE to send a certain number of pictures an an update every year for their birth family until the children are l8.

    I can't wait to read that you are on a plane and headed to Poland. :-) Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hoping for a travel date soon......

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful news. I am so happy for you. I have been out of town visiting family for a few days and came to check on updates as soon as I could when we got home. So happy to hear your good news!! I hope the girls are home very soon. I can't wait to hear when you get a court date. I love the idea of the memory quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

Who's Visiting